Bristol Royal Infirmary

The Bristol Royal Infirmary is a teaching hospital and provides general and acute medicine and surgery, critical care, trauma & orthopedic care and emergency treatment. The Bristol Royal Infirmary is the centre for cardiothoracic services for the northern part of the South West region.

Did you know…that the Bristol Royal Infirmary's Old Building dates from 1737.

The Infirmary was founded with the pledges of 78 Bristol citizens who each gave between two and six guineas, to be used 'to benefit the poor sick'. 

From the day it opened its doors to outpatients on 20th May 1737, the Infirmary provided medical training - apprentices to the resident general practitioner, known as the Apothecary, shortly followed by surgical apprentices. Thirty-four outpatients were admitted, under the care of four physicians and two surgeons.

The Infirmary received its royal title from Queen Victoria in 1850. As its use grew, the hospital needed more space by the turn of the 20th century. The Trustees at the time asked Sir George White, a prominent Bristolian and transport entrepreneur, to spear-head a public appeal. The money raised, boosted by a donation from Sir George himself, enabled the King Edward Building to open in June 1912. The Queen's Building, which houses the majority of wards, was opened by the present Queen in 1973.

Now another public appeal will help to build for its future. The Golden Gift Appeal will help to bring gold standard healthcare to Bristol and the BRI including state of the art equipment in the Intensive Care Unit and 16 individual rooms to provide privacy and dignity for end of life care and surgical patients.

Ways to help:

Every penny helps to pay for things that really matter to patients.