St Michael's Hospital

St Michael’s Hospital provides obstetrics and gynaecology care, and ear, nose and throat (ENT) surgery. The hospital is a regional referral unit for high-risk pregnancies and for fetal medicine. The dedicated teams of midwives and specialists care for over 5000 babies born in the hospital each year.

The origins of St Michael's Hospital can be traced to the purchase of a house in Alfred Place, Kingsdown in 1865 for "the rescue of young girls who have gone astray". The home, which was run by the Bristol Female Mission Society, moved to Southwell House in nearby Southwell Street six years later but it was not until 1894 that the "lying–in" hospital was opened there. 

Bristol Maternity Hospital was opened on the site in 1914. In 1950, the hospital, which now consisted of Southwell House, neighbouring Carlton House and the Nurses' Home, moved to Queen Victoria House, Redland. Maternity services relocated again when the current St Michael's building opened in 1972.

The hospital retains a small and friendly feel but provides modern and progressive services. With our help they plan to expand their services in order to offer even better care and greater choice to women in Bristol and the South West.

With your support we can make the following possible:

  • The creation of a midwife led birthing unit offering mothers a homely rather than clinical environment to give birth in.
  • The provision of a state of the art scanner for the gynaecology department resulting in quicker diagnosis.
  • A refurbished bereavement room where families can say goodbye to their cherished babies in a calm and peaceful space with privacy and dignity.
  • Enhancing hospital community services such as the midwifery team, maternity clinics and day assessment units.

These are all projects that will make a real difference to patients and their families.    

Ways to help:

Every penny helps to give Bristol's new families the very best start.