You've done it - thank you!
In June 2013, Above & Beyond launched the ambitious Golden Gift Appeal to raise £6 million to transform Bristol Royal Infirmary (BRI) and Bristol Haematology and Oncology Centre (BHOC).
To find out how your donations have made all the difference to our hospitals, download our Golden Gift Appeal Impact Report: Golden Gift Appeal Impact Report.pdf
Some of the projects you've helped fund include:
A state of the art patient monitoring system in adult intensive care unit providing faster more accurate and effective care for critically ill patients.
"The patient monitoring system records live vital signs and data from ventilators and dialysis machines, as well as preventing pressure ulcers. Our nurses verify this and adjust medication accordingly, saving time from transcribing information to paper and more importantly, reducing errors." Nicola Freeman-Fielding, intensive care unit matron
16 individual inpatient rooms that offer patients increased privacy, dignity and comfort
- A microwave ablation machine to treat cancer via keyhole surgery, without the need for general anaesthetic, reducing patients’ time in hospital from five days to just 27 hours. Please read more about our Microwave Ablation Appeal here.
- The refurbishment of the adult emergency department including a new patient waiting information system to avoid confusion and frustration.
"Providing waiting time information has helped patients to relax in an otherwise traumatic situation. This has led to reduced violence and aggression towards staff, creating an improved environment for everyone." Professor Jonathan Benger, a leading consultant in emergency care
- Activity boxes, iPads and a day room for older patients to combat isolation and loneliness.
- 9 isolation rooms in the BHOC for infectious patient with suppressed immune systems undergoing chemotherapy and other immunosuppressing treatments.
- The first adult bone marrow transplant (BMT) unit in the South West so all treatment is provided under one roof.
"The money raised by the Appeal has provided facilities for patients undergoing the arduous BMT procedure in keeping without high standard of care. More research and clinical trials can take place, offering patients a great variety of treatment options." Professor David Marks, adult BMT consultant
- 6 new consulting rooms in the outpatient unit which have helped to create a calm and relaxed environment.
- Isolation rooms for young patients with cystic fibrosis to reduce risk of infection and help patients maintain some normality during long stays.
- A beautiful sanctuary space open to everyone – all faiths and none for contemplation and quiet reflection at what can be a very difficult time.
“It’s so important for people in hospital to have a warm, quiet space for reflection or prayer if they’re feeling distressed – a meditative space where people can have privacy, somewhere to be with their emotions at what can be a very worrying or difficult time.” Chaplaincy Volunteer Ginny.
Thank you to everyone who supported the appeal, some of the individuals and companies who made the possible include:
Anne Nisbet, Brain Hanson, Bhupinder Sandhu, Cedric Nash, Chris Monk, Drummond Forbes, Julian Telling, Lis Kutt, Meg Thomas, Michael Bothamley, Mike Nevin, Penny Parsons, Peter Wilde, Roger Baird and Tony Kenny.
Ann Beesley, Anne Nisbet, Di Chedgy, Elizabeth Everitt, Emma Sackett, Geraldine Davies, Helen Currie, Judith Hood, Julia Shalash, Lindsay Telling, Meg Thomas, Sue Bruegger, Vanessa Fox and Vicky O'Dae.
Arts Council England, Bristol Freemasons, Brownsword Charitable Foundation, Clark Foundation, Garfield Weston Foundation, James Tudor Foundation, John James Bristol Foundation, Karen Morris Memorial Trust, Kay Kendall Leukaemia Foundation, Newby Trust Limited, Nisbet Charitable Trust, Sir Jules Thorn Charitable Trust, Somerset Masonic Charities, The Bernard Sunley Charitable Foundation, The Grateful Society and The Pople Charitable Trust.
Avonline, AWW UK, AXA Wealth, Barclays Wealth & Investment Management, Burton Sweet, Castle Combe Circuit, Chris Thurling Marketing & Advertising, Clifton Down Shopping Centre, Clifton Park Associates, Costa Coffee, Coventry Building Society, Creation, DAS UK Group, Debbie Fortune Estate Agents, Destination Bristol, Emergent Solutions, Folio Partnership, Global MSC Security, Grant Thornton UK LLP, Hype Agency, John Lewis Cribbs Causeway, Kemps Limited, Laing O’Rouke Wales & West Limited, Lloyds Bank South West Mid Markets Team, Mee Healthcare, Nisbets, Orchard Street Business Centre Bristol, Rathbones, REM/Bristol International Balloon Fiesta Ltd, Rolls Royce Plc, Sainsbury’s, Skanska, Specsavers Bristol City Centre, Tortworth Court, Trigon Pensions and Tulip Ltd.
We still need your support
The Gift of Gold Standard Healthcare
Making a difference
Tell us about your fundraising
We'd love to hear from you Tell us about your fundraising